Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Flower Headband for adults or children

My friend Cassie had a headband kinda like this that I saw her wearing over the holidays. I LOVED hers, but it was definitely out of my budget range. (What can I say; her husband is a Marine pilot and mine is still in school...) I decided to try and make one. I made this beauty for under $2!


Materials:
one headband (choose one WITHOUT those gripping teeth)
1 1/2" satin ribbon in any color (this will be the flowers) [ 1 1/2 yards]
1/4" coordinating satin ribbon (this will cover the headband) [2 yards]
matching thread
needle
hot glue gun
felt or wool pieces in a coordinating color

Step 1: Wrap the headband with the 1/4" ribbon.  I needed roughly 2 yards to cover an adult sized headband.  Of course, this will vary depending on the size of your headband and the width of your ribbon.  I wrap mine pretty tightly and close because that is the way I like it.  I stop every 5-10 wraps and apply a dab of hot glue to the top of the headband to secure the ribbon.  Be careful not to use too much or it will squish out from underneath the ribbon.



Step 2: Make the rosettes.  For a tutorial on how to do this see my apron string rosettes tutorial.  This time, however, cut the ribbon to lengths of 18".  Also, I used 1 1/2" ribbon so I could fold the ribbon in half and have a softer edge to the ribbon.  (DO NOT IRON AFTER FOLDING IF YOU WANT A SOFT EDGE!) When you do the stitching make sure you stitch through BOTH layers.  This is not hard to do.
Step 3: Place rosettes where you want them on the headband and apply with generous, but not too generous, amounts of hot glue.  It is okay for some hot glue to show here because it will get covered up.
Step 4: Cut 3 circles out of your felt or wool.  I used felt because I already had some.  I used a bubble lid as my stencil and cut it a little smaller.  This worked out perfectly.  I applied the felt pieces to the bottom of the rosettes so that the headband is actually between the rosette and the felt.  The felt pieces serve two purposes. One, they cover up the bottom of the rosettes and give it a more finished look.  Two, since the headband has no gripping teeth the felt helps the headband grip to your head a little better.
Step 5: Admire your work.  Pat yourself on the back, and ROCK the headband wherever you go.  Heck, tell people it only costs you $2 if you want, or you can just nod and say, "Thank You."  




5 comments:

  1. That is gorgeous Laura! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed this every time you've worn it to church! I had NO idea you made it! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting 2 make something like this for some time now but have not started it because I didn't know what steps 2 take in the process and I thought it would be a bit of time, which is something I dont have much of lately lol Thanks Laura

    ReplyDelete