Friday, February 12, 2010

Avery's New Shirt


I saw a this great tutorial on MADE (another crafty site (www.dana-made-it.com)) for a toddler sized t-shirt.  Well, I fell in love with Dana's versions of the shirt and decided to do one of my own for Avery.
I love the envelope neck because my children have big heads.
She's such a little model.  Of all the pictures, the poses she did herself were the ones that looked the best.
There are a few things that I did different than Dana's tutorial:
*I sewed the front and back pieces together before attaching the sleeve.  This takes a little bit of math to do correctly.  You have to measure the length of your sleeve arcs on your front and back pieces.  Now add those two numbers together (x).  Measure the sleeve arc on the actual sleeve (y).  Subtract the second number from the first number (x-y=z).  z is the amount of overlap that you need measuring from the rib knit tip down the arc between the front and back pieces.
(I know that sounds complicated, but it really isn't too bad.  It mostly sounds complicated because I am not good at writing directions.)
*After attaches the front and back at my overlap spots I attached the open sleeve and then I sewed the front to the back down the sides and sleeves.  
I just had to throw this one in because I thought it was funny.  You can't really see the shirt good here, but she is on day 4 of potty training 

3 comments:

  1. so cute! That almost got me going, I don't know if I have the energy for that. I don't know how you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is the most adorable shirt! Nice job Laura!

    ReplyDelete