Thursday, February 25, 2010

Colorful Burp Cloths

When I had my first child a few years ago, my cousin sent me some cute burp cloths that my aunt made.  They looked easy enough so I decided to make some myself.  Well, ever since, I have made them and given them away as gifts at baby showers and whatnot.
You can get several out of just one fat quarter.  Above you can see a selection of boy/gender neutrals that I have made.  I like bright colors, can you tell?

Materials:
1 package of ric-rac
1 fat quarter
burp cloth (old school cloth diapers)
coordinating thread

How to:
Step 1: Measure your burp cloth.  I usually cover the thick part in the middle with the fabric.  I cut mine
1/2-1 longer and wider than the area I need to cover to allow for folding underneath.  Fold under and iron.
Step 2: Pin the cloth and ric-rac to the burp cloth.  See how I have the ric-rac half underneath the cloth?  
Step 3: Sew along the edges as close to the edge of the fabric as possible.
Cute, huh?  Now I just need a friend, or family member (Hint, Hint:  I wouldn't mind being an aunt again) to have a little linebacker for me to send this one to.
PS - You can also use ribbon instead of ric-rac...in this case I don't iron under and simply pin the ribbon to the top of the cloth.  I do sew around the cloth twice though, once on each side of the ribbon as close as I can get to the edge.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about being sick, we do enjoy your posts but I am amazed at how you even find the time to be so crafty. I am bad, I find a craft I like and I stick with it until I get bored. Well If you have an itch to make a girl set, I am here for you!

    ReplyDelete