Friday, January 29, 2010

Home Organization #1 - Medicine Buckets

(As a disclaimer I have to admit that I got the idea for an organizing series from this great site: Crap I've Made; no, I am not kidding, that really is the title, and she does some WONDERFUL crafts)

Does the top of your fridge or a cabinet in your kitchen or bathroom look like this?
Well, I got tired of the top of my fridge looking like this so I decided to do something about it.


I went to the dollar store down the street and got a couple of these little storage buckets.  (I love this green apple color.)


I then made a couple of labels: one each for adults and kids; you can obviously label yours however you want, but I figured this was a good way to separate medicines.  I used stamps and acrylic paint; you could also use markers or stencils, whatever you like to use.

Here is the finished product!


Materials:
2 coordinating scrapbook papers (at least one should be solid for ease of reading labels)
acrylic paint
sponge brush
stamps
2 pieces of 5/8" ribbon cut at 12" lengths
buckets
razor
hot glue gun

1. Use a ruler to figure out how big you want your labels to be; this will depend on the size of your bucket and stamps.  My background paper is cut at 5"x2" and my foreground paper is cut at 4.5"x1.5".
2.  Stamp labels and allow to dry.
3.  Attach label to background paper.
4.  Cut 7/8" slit with razor on each side of the label for lacing ribbon through. (Make your slit 1/4" larger than whatever ribbon size you use.)  Lace ribbon through slit.
5.  Apply hot glue to edges of label (you could use craft glue if  you prefer, since my bucket was plastic I figured hot glue was a better bet for me) and apply label to bucket.
6.  Stretch ribbon around to the back of the bucket, apply a dot of hot glue to each end and stick to back of the bucket.

1 comment: