Sunday, May 2, 2010

VT Quilt

It is finally finished!  

For those of you that don't know, Virginia Tech Hokie fans are CRAZY DEDICATED to their cause...promoting and cheering on the Hokies.  I have NEVER IN MY LIFE seen a town so decked out in its local university's colors...even the TCBY (yum!) here is painted maroon and orange on the inside.  I have seen multiple maroon cars that have orange accent stripes along the sides, some even with a hokie bird somewhere along the line.  So I was not surprised to find someone that wanted a Hokie quilt.

About 2 months ago I saw this ad on craigslist from a girl that was looking for someone to make a Virginia Tech  themed quilt for her.  I decided to tackle the project.  2 months later...and a lot of tears shed (over my broken machine...sad)...I am D.O.N.E!!!
Here is the back for those quilters in the house that might be interested.  (Framing the square in the center was actually my husband's idea...kinda embarassed I didn't think of it myself.)
The client is a HUGE hokie fan; she also likes hearts a lot, so we combined the two into the design...not exactly what I would go for, but if it works for her that is all that matters.

Here is the center of the quilt detailing.
Here is one of the hearts that run along the top and bottom of the quilt.  I had never done too much machine applique...only like the second time I had ever used a satin stitch, but love the look of it.  I used coffee filters that I had ironed out to help keep the fabrics from shifting.  (Sorry, I can't remember what site I got that idea from.)
Here it is all folded up ready to go to its new home!

2 comments:

  1. you did an AWESOME job! I am super impressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's way cool lookin we remember when we were there how spirited the town was over it's school colors and such

    ReplyDelete