Friday, June 18, 2010

Tulle Tutu

I got this idea from a Disney Family Fun magazine and ran with it.  (My tutorial is basically the same, just more detailed, with more pictures and my measurements were different.)

Materials:
6 yd tulle
1" elastic cut to waist 
Step One: Cut your strips of tulle.  I measured mine to be 3 inches in width.  (Too thin and you will have to do a lot of ties; too thick and lots of elastic will show between knots.)
Step Two: Since the tulle I bought comes in 52" I cut each strip in half.  That gave me a finished piece of 3"x26".  I wanted mine to drape down pretty far.  You could also cut it in thirds or fourths easily...fourths wouldn't drape much though.
Step Three: Sew elastic closed.  I used a zigzag stitch to do this, more give.  I cut my elastic to 19" (My daughter's estimated waist since she was sleeping at the time.)  I then overlapped about 3/4".  You do NOT need to add extra for the overlap, if you do the tutu could end up being too loose.
Step Four: Stretch the elastic across a binder or book to use as a base while tying.  The more you stretch it, the more knots you will need, which will make it more full.
Step Five: Start tying knots.
Make a cute pattern.  Keep going until you get the finished product...
...cuteness in a tutu!
She is finally learning to pose and smile for my pictures.
She'll even dance in some instances.  (You should have seen her getting down in Old Navy the other day.  So funny.)
As you can tell I couldn't pick a favorite of her dancing.
Thought of putting the tutu on my son for about 0.2 seconds before I realized my husband would kill me.
Umm...WWF Smackdown?!?



1 comment:

  1. we did these and added ribbon all around and flowers glued here and there and it made it even cuter!

    ReplyDelete